Monday, December 08, 2008

I'm free...

It's been a long time since I've posted, since I've been so busy at work. I really hate the reason I now have time for the blog again...

So, apparently the publishing industry is not doing well. There have been major cuts at several publishers in the past two weeks, including my own. (If you're interested in which company I worked for, check GalleyCat's home page - there are currently four separate posts about it.)

I must admit it was kind of a shock. I knew there were layoffs coming, as a "corporate streamlining" team was hired to analyze the business after our merger earlier this year. But seeing as I was a major part of the technical integration team, it was kind of surprising.

I'm a little worried. I have 10 years experience in the field, but the last 8 of them have been pretty much restricted to Notes/Domino, and I'm really not sure what the demand is for those skills in the Chicago area. I'm a quick learner and have no doubt I could pick up any system or language a potential employer might want, but probably not before I need to start interviewing.

So, if anyone knows of open positions in the Chicago metro area (or telecommute positions with minimal travel anywhere), keep me in mind. I'll try to start posting more now that I have some time on my hands, starting with an early SnTT post later today or tomorrow.

4 comments:

Chris Toohey said...

Sorry to hear that Esther, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you!

Anonymous said...

Ever considered Dublin? Notes/Domino has a huge base in Europe.

Jess Stratton said...

Sorry to hear that, Esther. Have you talked to John Head? He's in Chicago, and I believe his company, PSC, is hiring.
http://www.psclistens.com/

Anonymous said...

hi I am they guy who posted the unique function in LS then after all this lines it turns out LS already has the arrayunique. Sometimes I think lotus should spend more time improving the release notes. Anyway I work for an IBM business partner in NY its name is Gemini Systems if you want you can send me your resume and I can pass it to HR or you can send it directly. Hope your job hunt is better. my email is ernestolv@hotmail.com